Thursday, January 12, 2017

Delahay's Line

I am never likely to claim as a certainty, my uncertain but certainly not-impossible Maori ancestry.

                                           

Young Delahay in Auckland NZ



My great-grandmother Delahay Woods Renouf was born in Auckland, New Zealand in the mid-nineteenth century.
There she met my great-grandfather John Renouf, who had sailed to Auckland from England aboard the 'Zealandia', a full-rigged clipper ship built in 1869, a trip which took more than three months.


Delahay and John fell in love, and left Auckland for John's home - St. Helier, Jersey, (Jersey being one of the tiny Channel Islands off the coast of Normandy), half a world, (and more than three months), away.
For the next fifteen years they lived there, having ten children, the sixth being my grandfather, Ralph Renouf.
Seven weeks after their tenth child, Kathleen, was born, Delahay died of rheumatic fever.
She was thirty-five.


It is family lore that Delahay was part Maori.
Well, maybe.
Some say that her mother was Maori, though even if there is some truth in that, Delahay's mother may have been half or one-quarter or one-eighth or one-sixteenth Maori.
Maybe.
Or Maori of such distance, that these New Zealand indigenous roots may be as fine as windblown dust.


Delahay in Jersey, Channel Islands

Maybe.                                                      

It is somewhat tenuous, this Maori heritage of mine.
Is it true?

The Renouf Family - John, Delahay, Fred, Nora, Lucy, Mark, Arthur, Ralph, Dennis, Keith, Doris
(before the birth of Kathleen) 


I don't know.
 But I have, at least, travelled to the place of her birth.
In January of 1960, (at the age of four), I sailed, (along with the rest of my family), aboard the SS Arcadia, a two week-long voyage from Vancouver to Auckland.
Here we lived for sixteen months.
Like my great-grandmother, I began my education, dipped my toes in the seas that washed the pebbled beaches of Ladies Bay and the black sands of Piha, ran barefoot, stared out at Rangitoto, ate guavas, breathed air scented with tropical flowers, observed the same muted landscape.


What I do know is that I feel a deep connection to Delahay.





As a visual artist I see her, to a certain extent, as my muse. 
The concepts of roots, and journey, and sense of place, are what my art is about.



And I feel a certain sense of duty to her. 
My great-grandmother lived only to be thirty-five. 
At that age, I was just (slowly) getting it together, as far as my art is concerned. 
And my art is, at least in part, my legacy. 
As one of her offspring, shouldn't I be compelled, in one way or another, to tell her story too?
Isn't her story a part of me?



So I reserve the right to explore my 'maybe'. 
It may be fiction, and it may be a fine threadlike wisp of a root, but I refuse to discount the possibility that my ancestor, Paikea, may have travelled to New Zealand on the back of a whale, just as I travel my Ontario canoe routes, (via a 1962 Chestnut canoe), through abstract landscapes and tree images.



I reserve the right.
And I do it for Delahay.




















7 comments:

  1. Sorry to disappoint you but Delahay's parents were James Roulston Woods, born in Ireland and Delahay Whelch born in Dover, Kent UK. So no Maori there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya according to my family tree software I am Delahay's 1st Cousin 4x removed!!James Roulston Woods was the son of Benjamin Woods. Benjamin was my 4th Great Grandfather so I'm really just researching off on a bit of a tangent. I love what you've done with the photo of Delahay. I did a bit more research today and found something which suggests Delahay's mother refused to come out to New Zealand with the rest of the family on the ship 'London'and came out bit later but I still haven't found out when. Obviously a mind of her own.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. A mind of her own?
    Well that trait has certainly been passed on!
    Nice to meet you ‘cousin’!
    Are you in NZ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interested in Nora Renouf 1881 - 1959 she studied chemistry in Jersey under Toms in Jersey, then in London where she had several scholarships, she then worked with Dr A.W. Crossley C.M.G, C.B.E, F.R.S. 1869-1927 as his secretary, which allowed her to work in chemical warfare, women were not allowed to otherwise. Trying to find out more about her. Thaks Nick - Jersey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nora Renouf was my great-aunt, my grandfather's elder sister. She was a twin, (Lucy, also very accomplished). They were the daughters of Delahay and John Renouf, of Jersey.

      Delete