Thursday, May 26, 2022

TYCO Redux



University of Toronto Scarborough College Women's Basketball Team  

'TYCO'

1976 - That's me, number 10





Forty-five years ago, I managed, (through many stumbles and herculean efforts), 
to win a spot on the coveted roster of the
University of Toronto
Scarborough College Women's Basketball Team,
commonly known as
'TYCO'.

The tryouts were rigorous, well-attended and competitive. 
Thinking back, I was probably ill-prepared.
I hadn't played team basketball in over a year. My only strategy was to wear a bright red t-shirt with 'RENOUF' on the back to ensure that if nothing else, 
in this sea of athletes my name would stand out.

I was sure of one thing,
 and that was that I wasn't sure of anything. 

When the results were posted and I saw my name on the team list, I went back several times to make sure that I'd read it right.

Lessons of effort and perseverance 




This wasn't just another recreational sport experience for me. 
Not for me, not for any of us.

The team was coached by someone not only dedicated and focused, but single-minded in
 his vision of what women's athletics should look like in the 1970's. 
And to our huge advantage, he had a deep well of knowledge concerning the ins and outs of basketball. 
I might add, (if I were to use all of the clichéd coaching lingo that I can think of), that he was a 
'clear communicator', even (or especially) when mistakes were made.




As a result, we practiced frequently, working long and hard. 
We were not only in the U of T league, but took every challenge that came our way - practice games, exhibition games, invitational tournaments, both college and university. We played against teams with less skill and experience as well as greater, including varsity teams and (on one occasion) a university men's 'B' team.
By the time the Women's Summer Basketball League was initiated at the Scarborough Campus, 
we were virtually playing year-round.







Proud and strong






I suppose that I may be slightly biased, but I'll say it anyway. 

We were good.

We had a winning combination.
We were well coached, were tight friends, trusted each other, and worked hard.
And yes, (being nineteen, twenty, twenty-one),
we partied hard too.




 






Forty-five years later, I think I finally can come to grips with what this short, three-year, 
yet so profoundly significant part of my life means to me.




To those old faces, still so important,
my love and thanks.







Epilogue:





6 comments:

  1. An insightful and beautifully written post, Anne.

    Team athletes take so much more away from their sport than skills, plays, trophies and win/loss records. It is a horribly over-used (but uniquely relevant) cliché - the biggest lesson of all and one that translates into so many other aspects of life is that there is no I in team.

    The ’75 to ’77 TYCOs were truly blessed to have fused with such magnitude, both on and off the court; a rare privilege that very few athletes, indeed very few people, ever experience.

    Thank you Annie. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you again for sharing Anne. I love learning your try-out strategy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, this is tremendous and so touching! Sorry I've taken so long to respond - YES, we were good, we are special, and you are amazing! We will have our bond forever. So glad we're still able to share a little of each other's lives. Frannie xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Frannie!
    Love you guys xo
    🧡🧡🧡🧡

    ReplyDelete