Monday, September 6, 2021

Trinity Lake - Day One - Afternoon

 




Our sixteen foot cedar-strip 'Chestnut' canoe is now an antique.
She is my trusty companion.
The old girl is in pretty good shape. Purchased by my father in 1962, the summer I turned seven. My earliest memories of her are from the bow, in Muskoka, being slowly strangled by a bulky 1960's orange life-jacket, paddling with my brothers.
A few ribs have been replaced over the years, lots and lots of re-painting done.
Newly re-canvased.

I have brought with me three paddles. The first, a real beauty, and the one I most frequently use.
A gift from Bud for my fiftieth birthday.
That's number one.

Number two.
My camp paddle, used every summer at camp from the age of ten until my last summer working at Camp Trident as canoe instructor, 
my ninth season.
(Too big for me at age ten, and too small at eighteen.)
Bedecked with a sample of my 11-year-old wood-burning skills.

D.B.B. 11  1966 
zip a dee doo dah

Burned using a magnifying glass, while sprawled, (wearing only wet bathing suit bottoms), on the slanting rocky shore of Trout Bay, along with my two best camp friends, Chip and Jessie, on a hot August day, in the middle of a 5-day canoe trip in the mosquito-ridden wilds of Haliburton Ontario.
('D.B.B.  11  1966', that is. 
'Zip a dee doo dah' came later.)

And number three. An old workhorse. A small emergency paddle, tied to the side of the canoe, just under the gunwale. There if needed.

                                                    *

A month ago while planning this trip, I laughed (when researching on the internet the essential
gear for camping), at the quantities of 'stuff' - equipment, clothing, cooking implements - 'required'.
But, I see what looks like enough for a year in this canoe.
My clothing list has come directly from the old camp brochure. 
I have made a few substitutions and omitted a few things, but it is still the most useful guide 
after nearly fifty years.

And apart from clothing and basic tripping supplies, the following:
  • 1 large water container, 2 small water bottles, mesh bag, plastic wash tub
  • eco dish soap
  • pot holders, dish cloths, tea-towels, garbage bags
  • long spoon, ladle, flipper, paring knife, cooking pot, frying pan, kettle
  • 3 lighters, 6 candles, 2 boxes of 100 matches (in waterproof containers)
  • last Saturday's 'Globe and Mail'
And for defence, survival and entertainment:
  • tent
  • fly
  • tripping foam mattress
  • tarps
  • 4 rolls TP
  • first aid kit
  • canoe repair kit
  • mini cook-stove
  • compass with magnifier 
  • map
  • camera 
  • snorkel, mask, flippers
  • bug spray, sun screen
  • 1 bottle of brandy
  • rope
  • duct tape
  • 2 PFDs
  • canoe bailer kit + whistle
  • bear spray
  • pocket knife, hunting knife, axe, saw, can opener, trowel
  • water filter pump
  • clock
  • mini calendar, notebooks, pens, books
  • art supplies
And, of course, food.

I'm not big on freeze-dried camping food. But I have added a couple of f-d meals, just in case.
I have brought a wanigan of canned goods - tomato sauce, corn, mixed veggies, baked beans, peaches, applesauce. And 3 back-packs containing the following:
packets of dry soup mix, hot chocolate mix, baggies (labelled for each meal) with daily portions of oatmeal, granola, flour, bisquick, pasta, rice, lentils, quinoa, salt, pepper, herbs, spices, sugar, tea.
Plastic sealed containers of olive oil, butter, peanut butter, jam, sriracha sauce, maple syrup.
Packages of pita, ryvita, trail-mix, dried fruit, cheese, long-life milk and eggs.
A bottle of Rose's Lime Cordial. 
And a plastic bin containing onions, garlic, carrots, green peppers, tomatoes.

With only me as a passenger, it does all (miraculously) fit.




                                                         *



1965 - Camp Trident Clothing List:

  • 2 sweaters 
  • jacket                                      
  • rain gear
  • 2 pair jeans
  • 2 pair running shoes
  • 1 pair boots
  • bathing suit
  • 3 T-shirts
  • 2 pair shorts
  • 3 underwear
  • 6 pr socks
  • toothbrush + toothpaste
  • soap
  • comb
  • 2 towels
  • ball cap
  • wool toque
  • sleeping bag 
  • ground sheet
  • flashlight
  • mess kit (knife,fork,spoon,cup,bowl,plate)

No comments:

Post a Comment