Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Seeking a Muse

The dog days.
It's an in-between time.

In between the crazy frenzied prep for the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition,
                                                 and
the crazy frenzied prep for the Kawartha Autumn Studio Tour.

I have several new pieces (almost) completed - works on canvas and panel.
And I have (finally) wrapped up the 59" x 53" canvas
'Easter Morning (Cloister Light)',
(four months after Easter Sunday).

I have, (for the summer), been putting most of my energies into art-making with a five-year-old.
A five-year-old boy with  ideas.
An ideas machine, in fact.
We have gathered materials, collected cardboard, studied outer space, the undersea world.
Unearthed neon paints, paper, brushes, markers, pencils.
Incorporated found objects - ribbon, string, cardboard tubes, sticks, buttons, beads.
And used roughly a mile of masking tape.
All of this.

And, I've become addicted to Lego.



The 'Ideas machine', (only here for part of the summer), has now left us to return to his far away home.
Left us with plans, drawings, paintings, sculptures, murals, mobiles.
And left us with a large painted cardboard 'cat-trap', a roomy box fitted
with roof, ribbon-covered window, functioning door, and which can hold (when not in the business of catching cats) four children aged five and under.



 

I am missing his bright chirp-like conversation, his endless ideas, his sunny eagerness, his need to create. His musings.



I am missing his quick rough sketches as he explains an idea.

His use of colour.










He has given me a fresh perspective.



And so, I spend time with the complete freedom of a five-year-old.
Drawing with my wrong hand which, (for me, being left-handed), is
my right hand.


Right-handed Drawings










2 comments: