Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Trinity Lake - Day 9 - Evening

 



Bud’s Dinner


Steak

Baked potatoes

Caesar Salad

Vin Rouge

 

 

So Bud arrives at my site, 

saying that seeing it was such a beautiful 

day he thought I may wish to stay

one more night.

 

I am ecstatic.

We stow his (quite large) backpack of 

supper makings in the treetop kitchen, 

then return to the water’s edge, strip, 

and spend a glorious hour, floating, 

treading water, and talking.

After a meal of cheese, crackers, 

trail mix, and a bag of fresh crudités, 

which he has gifted to me,

(the best gift after nine days), 

we take my cedar stretcher frame  

out into the water. 

Bud gathers up the unused cedar poles 

and lays them across it, lashing them 

to the frame with some of my fine 

strong rope, and creates the best sort of 

impromptu raft.

 

Like two eleven-year-olds, we play on 

this, paddling it out into the lake.

At one point, Bud heads for shore and 

retrieves two still quite cool bottles of 

Steamwhistle from the bow of his canoe.

And swims them out to the raft.

 

When I am too cold to stay in the water 

any longer, 

we get a good cooking fire going and, 

bundle up in hoodies, trackpants, 

red wool socks.

Later, he pours me a cup of wine, 

and proceeds to single-handedly 

concoct dinner.

 

It just doesn’t get any better than this.

 

 

         

 

 

                                                *

 

 

 

 

“I love you not only for what you are,

but for what I am when I am with you.

I love you not only for what you have 

made of yourself,

but for what you are making of me.

I love you for the part of me you bring 

out;

I love you for putting your hand in my

heaped up heart

and passing over all the foolish weak 

things

that you can’t help dimly seeing there

and for drawing out into the light all the 

beautiful belongings

that no one else has looked quite far 

enough to find.

 

I love you because you are helping me 

to make

out of the lumber of my life not a tavern 

but a temple;

out of the works of my every day

not a reproach but a song.

I love you because you have done

more than any creed could have done 

to make me good,

and more than any fate to make me happy.”

 

- from the writings of the Jewish poet,

Martin Buber

 

 

 

 

                                   

 

                                                     *

 

 

 

 

 

August , 2014

 

On a windy late-August morning, a day 
with clouds scuttling across the sky like 
banners, a dark blue Ford rental car 
pulled up at our door.

I could see the slightly apprehensive 

look on the driver’s face even 

from the kitchen window.

She took a minute to organize things

 then stepped out,

her long-legged seven-year-old 

climbing out of the back.

 

We were outside before they needed to 

figure out which door to go to.

 

Bud went to Meg, took her hands in his, 

had a long moment of eye contact and 

grinned like a new father.

It was a meeting with only a moment of 

awkwardness. 

As he described later, as soon as they 

were face to face, 

he could see himself in her.

 

She was very like Wren, with Bud’s 

colouring and facial features, but her

manner, the way she moved,

her expressions, were Wren.

I felt the unstoppable tears 

and laughingly hugged her.

 

The child, Elle, was unbelievably like 

Ginny.

 

As the visit progressed, we told Elle 

about 'Aunt Ginny’, and about her

 unknown Windsor great-grandparents.

Elle was keen on drawing, 

and I hauled out markers and paper.

She showed interest in my studio, 

in my paints and brushes, handling them 

carefully. 

I suggested that next time she visited 

perhaps she could paint. 

Her response was to turn to her mother

and say:“Can we come back here again?”

 

I was stunned by how comfortably Meg 

and Bud chatted.

While Elle and I drew, Bud took Meg 

outside to see the canoe shed and 

his latest canoe refurbishment. 

When they returned, 

we had a buffet lunch.

 

We had a gift for Elle, but waited for 

the right moment, not wanting to 

overwhelm anyone. 

She unwrapped it carefully, 

and gasped in delight when she saw 

a mini watercolour set which folded out

to reveal paints, brush, a small water 

container and a wee pad of paper. 

She examined them all, 

then replaced everything and 

closed it up again, 

at least six times.

 

We talked about Wren.

 

While Elle was busy drawing, Meg told us 

about her illness, but also about her work, 

her success as an editor and publisher, 

her marriage to David.

She was keen to know about her mother 

when we knew her. I heard myself describe 

the Wren I first knew and loved - 

about camp, canoe trips, 

a mutual love of Trinity Lake.

I thought this would be difficult for Bud, 

but looking directly at Meg, he added:

 

“Trinity Lake was wilderness back then.

The three of us did the Loop in ’74, 

a pretty rugged route.

Your mother was a star on a canoe trip…

a much better canoeist than me.”

 

They left mid afternoon, heading for an 

overnight in Ottawa before returning to 

Montreal. 

We made a tentative plan to have them 

come and stay with us for the 

Thanksgiving weekend, 

with the hope that Ginny and Margie 

would come as well.

 

As they were leaving, Elle spotted our 

collection of paddles, 

hanging in the hallway. 

She gently touched the smallest one, 

pointing out to her mother 

the burnt initials. 

D. B. B.  11   1966

Me: “That was my paddle when I was

 at camp.”

Elle: “What’s zipaya….?

Me: “zip adee doo dah.

It’s from a song. A happy song. 

It reminds me of someone I loved 

very much.

 

Elle: “Oh.”

And then,

        “What should I call you?”

 

Bud: “How about Bud and Beck?”

 

As they turned the corner on the 

laneway and were no longer

 in sight, me to a smiling Bud, 

saying the only thing left to say.

 

Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment