Thursday, October 7, 2021

Trinity Lake - Epilogue




Epilogue


“Things we lose have a way of

coming back to us in the end,

if not always in the way we expect.”

 

 

-       J K Rowling

 

 

On the morning after the last day of my 

nine day solo canoe trip, 

I lower the treetop kitchen and pack up 

all of the gear.

Then I tackle the tent site.

Bud spends an hour at water's edge, 

deconstructing the raft, transporting the

cedar lengths into the woods, 

gathering up the fine cord.

All that has been my home 

for a week and a half 

disappears.

Apart from flattened and trodden 

ground, cleared trail and 

well used fireplace,

it is as if I hadn’t been here at all.


Like the last day of camp.

 

We each solo a canoe away from 

my bay, each with half of the gear. 

We meander close to the shore.

It is still and calm, though a bit cooler.

We stop for a cup of coffee at 

‘The Cabin”, 

as is our habit, and in spite of having 

already breakfasted, 

are lured by the 

bacon, egg and hash-brown smell 

into having the full fry-up.

 

I notice a couple enter, 

and make for a sunny table in the corner.

I try not to do the ‘Haliburton Stare’,

that moment when everyone in a small 

country eatery looks up to see who it is.

As they turn, I see that it is 

Joan and Harvey,

Joan and Harvey of the dock visit, 

the excellent coffee, the pre-cliff part 

of my pilgrimage,

Only four days ago.

They settle in at their table 

and Bud and I wander over.

I introduce Bud and we have 

a good chat, exchange numbers.

Harvey fixes me with a gimlet eye. 

“Not sure you were straight with 

us the other day,” 

he says with a hint of a grin.

“Saw you battle your way across 

the lake in that wind.”

I manage to laugh, and stammer out 

that I’d been on something of 

a mission, and that all had gone well.

He reaches up to touch my cheek, 

a gesture so like my father 

would have done, 

I feel a lump tighten in my throat.

We promise to drop by their cottage 

in the next couple of weeks. 

There is some repair work that they’d

 like Bud’s advice about.

 

Four weeks later, 

we celebrate a not quite typical, 

not quite traditional, 

very happy Thanksgiving.

We have weekend guests from afar,

arriving on Friday evening  – 

Ginny and Margie, 

bringing a fantastic array 

of vegetarian foods, the makings 

of a Sunday feast.

 

And Meg and Elle, also with 

Thanksgiving offerings –

three dozen Montreal bagels, 

cream cheese, lox, veggie platter, 

wines, and a package of Montreal 

smoked meat for Bud.


My doctor brother Dennis 

and his wife Lula pop in on Saturday on 

their way to Algonquin.

Lula is Middle Eastern and a fantastic 

cook, and they gift us with some of 

her delicacies.

Elle is fascinated that Dennis and I 

are twins, so I unearth a photo album of 

our summers on Trinity Lake, 

when we were small, and Dennis and I 

actually looked alike.

This prompts a lot of laughter.


Elle, the album open on her lap, 

on the sofa between Ginny and Bud.


Trinity Lake in the '50's.

My father reading on the deck.

My mother at her desk, turning to 

look at the photographer.

Their five children, all under ten, 

lined up on the shore in khaki shorts, 

bare feet and chests.

And later,

Ginny and me at camp 

the first year I knew her.

Bud and me

in a canoe in our early twenties. 

Trinity Lake.


                                                                      *


After we see Dennis and Lula 

on their way, 

we plan a road trip for Sunday morning -

Bud, me, Meg, Elle, Ginny, Margie.

Three canoes, (truck, trailer, car), 

6 paddles, 6  PFDs, 3 bailers, 

and a large picnic lunch.

We plan to head to the public landing 

near the old camp.

And do a bit of exploring.


Bud sterns with Meg in the bow.

I paddle with Margie.

Elle, with my old camp paddle,

in the bow of Ginny's canoe.

We spend a glorious four hours on 

Trinity Lake.

We paddle slowly by the old camp, 

now cottages, 

with a few people about, it being 

Thanksgiving weekend. 

We picnic on tiny Blueberry Island.


Baguette, cheeses, sausage rolls, 

lettuce, cherry tomatoes, fruit.

Lemonade and light beer.

Local butter tarts.


                                                                          *



Bud, Meg and Margie, deep in 

conversation,

nibble at the picnic remains.

Ginny and I sit on a rocky outcrop 

looking out over Trinity Lake 

toward the old camp.

As it's October, 

we are in bulky sweaters, 

the tiny island scattered with leaves. 

We watch Elle, rubber-booted, playing in

 the shallows,

my camp paddle within her reach.


The old camp, now cottages, but still 

so familiar.

Still the same land.

Land where I feel a deep sense of 

belonging.


I think of Wren.

Thankfully, something which is no longer

painful to do.

For a fleeting moment, I think of Wren 

and the old days at camp,

laughing hysterically (but silently) as we 

negotiate the ink black

midnight Camp Trident trails, 

avoiding the oncoming train of Willie's 

spotlight, 

and feeling nothing but our own light of 

ecstatic intense love. 


I watch Elle playing on the pebbled shore.

Wren's granddaughter.

The paddle, I will give to her.

It will be the paddle she uses to learn to 

stern a canoe.

And eventually 

to canoe trip in this very place. 


For now, it holds a long straight line of 

tiny stones collected from the shore, 

shaped and rounded smooth 

by the waters of Trinity Lake.



                                                      *


No comments:

Post a Comment