Thursday, July 30, 2020

Sixty Years Ago in NZ...





Anne Renouf - middle row - second from left
Auckland NZ, 1960
(from the Renouf archives)


A good snapshot stops a moment from running away.
- Eudora Welty



My memory has been nudged.

It's funny, isn't it?
There I was, doing a bit of research into the place where I began my schooling. 
(It was only later on that I realized that it was exactly sixty years ago.) 
What I turned up was quite astonishing.  
But I need to back up a bit...

When I was four and a half, my family moved from Toronto to Auckland NZ. We sailed from Vancouver in January 1960. Six months later I started school - June 30 1960,
 the day I turned five.

I mentioned my early schooling in a previous blog post, and while writing it, wanted to be clear about the order of nuns who taught at the school - St. Joseph's Orakei.
(The Brigidine Order, as it turns out.)
To my delight, the school still exists and has quite an excellent website, with a section entitled 
'Our History'.

I clicked on 'Our History', only to see a photo of the three nuns who ran the school in the early days - 
Mother Damian, Mother Veronica and Mother Tarsisius. 
A few more clicks to a couple of historic school photos, and up pops one of a First Communion class, with my clearly recognizable seven-year-old sister, Kit,
 in the very front.
(See below.) 



Was I imagining things? 
I peered at the image for some time, as it really seemed too extraordinary. 
I enlarged the photo, examining it carefully. 
Yes, that is Kit, front right. 
And then, scanning the very back of the photo, I see myself, in a crinolined party dress, (that perhaps I insisted on wearing), restrained by my mother's arms (also easily recognizable), and looking totally in awe of the ceremonial breakfast. 

Is it extraordinary?
In the (more than) sixty year history of this tiny school on the other side of the world, there are three photos of students in the early years.
Hundreds of children must have gone through this school.
Three Renouf siblings - Simon, Kit, Anne, 
(our eldest brother Andy went to a different school, our youngest brother Pat wasn't born yet), attended for less than a year and a half. 
I mean, what are the chances?


More photos, (these from the Renouf archives), below:

St. Joseph's Orakei students, 1960



The Brigidine nuns,
Mother Veronica, Mother Tarsisius, Mother Damian



Simon, Kit, Anne, 1960



109 West Tamaki Road, Auckland


Postscript:


 I remember the photo of the entire student body being taken. 
I liked the girl to my left - I think her name was Christine.
I was in Primer One (pronounced 'primmer'), and Mother Damian was my teacher.


Things I loved: 
Hot meat pies, guavas, swapsies, Ladies Bay, One Tree Hill, Smog (our cat),
 'White Coral Bells'


My mother kept in touch with Mother Veronica, (Kit's teacher), a dear wonderful lady,
for the rest of her life.


White Coral Bells
(Traditional Children's Song)

White Coral Bells
Upon a slender stalk
Lilies of the valley grace my garden walk
Oh don't you wish that you could hear them ring?
That will only happen when the fairies sing.




4 comments:

  1. We used to sing White Coral Bells in Brownies, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmigosh! Wonderful documentation and I'm so happy for you that you've been able to grab them so you'll have them forever (even if the school changes their website). Extraordinary? For sure! And doesn't the wee Kit look sad? Poor thing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably overwhelmed by the pomp and circumstance! xo

      Delete