Episode 4
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it,
you've got to start young."
- Theodore Roosevelt
Onward!
We are lucky enough to live within a few klicks of our local stretch of the
Trans Canada Trail,
and on a gorgeous day last Fall, we thought we'd try a section of it.
It is, (so I read), the longest multi-use trail system in the world,
connecting all three of Canada's coastlines.
(We weren't going that far.)
Our stretch is part of the Lang-Hastings Rail Trail,
on an abandoned (re-purposed) railway bed, beautifully flat and surfaced in crushed stone.
Peterborough to Hastings on the trail is about
2.5 hours by bicycle.
(We weren't going that far either.)
We loaded our bikes into the back of the truck
and drove to a parking area and entry point to the trail
about eight kilometres from home.
Our plan was to ride a leg or two, as far as we were comfortable,
then do the return journey.
I'm happy to report that it was a huge success.
We cycled east for about half an hour on the almost perfectly flat trail,
with views of farmer's fields, wooded areas,
fall leaves blowing about,
over creeks, crossing a couple of quiet country roads.
We met two cyclists going the other way, but that was about it,
except for the squirrels and birds.
It being Autumn, it's too early for snowmobilers and cross-country skiers;
not a sign of runners or hikers.
Then we backtracked,
passing the same cyclists again, where they sat on a bench.
They looked up, and it was clear that they were having a difference of opinion.
It's mid-afternoon on a school day,
so perhaps they didn't expect to see another soul.
We hurry past.
On toward the parking area, but before turning in,
we meander north to check out the tunnel, (underpass),
under a busier county road,
just to see what it was like beyond.
For five minutes or so we cycle on to where the TCT crosses
another busy county road.
We turn around and head back toward the tunnel.
The lure
of the

tunnel.
We make our way to the parked truck, load the bikes,
and head for home.
We will do this again, we say, the next section eastward of the TCT.
For sure.
Onward!
"To unpathed waters, undreamed shores."
- William Shakespeare
*Mercifully, we didn't cross paths with the arguing couple again.
But as I post this,
I think I see them way off in the distance in the third tunnel photo.
Unintentional.
Stay tuned for Episode 5....
.jpeg)


.jpeg)
"Onwards" - the saga continues! Lovely tale of your first TCT ride! I've never walked nor ridden the Pbo sections but I have done both from Campbellford, heading west. It never disappoints. I'm really looking forward to Episode 5 to see where you dare to ride next time. Onwards with love. xx
ReplyDelete