Episode 1
"The aging process
is not gradual or gentle. It rushes up,
pushes you over, and runs off
laughing."
-John Mortimer
*
This quote could, quite possibly, have deterred me from
making the purchase I longed to make
three months into my seventy-first year.
But it didn't.
I had always had an easy relationship with bikes,
and was comfortable cycling more for pleasure than exercise,
perhaps with more of a casual fondness than an unwavering dedication.
My first bike was this little beauty...
⇩

Anne - 1961
As a kid, if the weather was fit I rode my bike to school,
a ten minute ride to one long bike rack in the schoolyard -
(no bike locks in those days).
Hours and hours were spent circling the 'key-hole' on Cassidy Place,
the street where my siblings and I grew up in Don Mills.
And off and on through high school and uni,
biking day trips with various friends on my 'Canadian Tire' 10-speed .
For many years, Doug and I travelled to coastal North Carolina
- Ocracoke Island -
(in our forties, fifties and sixties),
taking our own bikes or renting a couple while there, as a means of getting around the little village, in fact rarely using the car.
Ocracoke was (is) relatively flat and easy to navigate on a bike. Cycling was
the ideal form of transport for us, especially when making our way home from
'Howard's Pub' at the end of the day,
(mobile phone doubling as a headlight.)
More recently,
we have taken our bikes to Grand Manan Island in New Brunswick.
Also a lovely place to cycle,
but the terrain is somewhat hillier.
It was here that I,
while on holiday with Doug, his daughter and son, their partners and kids - eleven of us, while climbing a steepish hill, (slowly),
on our way up to 'High Seas Convenience', heard a 'pop' in my right knee,
and felt a stab of pain.
"No", I said, refusing to acknowledge it,
and walked (hobbled) my bike up the hill the rest of the way.
*
It was the gentle meditative fifteen minutes on the stationary bike which concluded each physiotherapy session throughout the following Fall and Winter
that planted the seed of an idea of
getting an eBike.
The repetitive motion was, (I was told), a low impact rehabilitation
that helped rebuild muscle strength and improve motion,
without placing heavy stress on recovering joints.
It worked.
I was gifted a turbo trainer, and spent that winter spinning around, indoors,
on my bike for five minutes at a time, regaining my knee strength.
The swelling went away.
The dull ache was no more.
I settled into a routine of eBike research over the following months.
I found some that I knew would do, but weren't quite what I had in mind.
And then, I saw this....
⇩
Stay tuned for Episode 2.....
*I use the term 'Granny', as in 'Granny Bought an eBike', as a synonym
(according to my thesaurus), for 'Old Woman'.
While no one calls me Granny, (to my face),
it seemed like a good moniker for an oldie on a bike.
ps - The step-grands call me 'Anne'.
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
Lovely, but now I can't wait for the second (and third, and fourth...) instalment! xx
ReplyDelete