Episode 5
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
- Chili Davis
Cycling on the Trans Canada Trail (cttrail.ca) has made me more adventurous.
We have a network of trails on our ninety acres, some pretty rough and narrow, but the main 'roads' well worn and in pretty decent shape for biking.
I spent the first go-round cycling slowly,
stopping every so often to pick up sticks and small branches
and to throw them off the trail.
This took a while, and quite a few passes,
and of course there were obstacles that I had to just learn to
weave a route around.
The above photo, (taken last Fall), gives a pretty good idea of our main trail network.
Doug was working in a part of the woods ten minutes from the house
throughout the Fall,
so it became my habit to spin over at least once a day to drop by with
a bevy,
or a forgotten tool,
or a phone...
etc., etc.
I'd also try to extend the cleared trail a little bit further each visit.
He was working in the sugarhouse area.
That's it above - sugarhouse and woodshed on the left.
The main trails to this point are well-established,
being driven over by the four-wheeler
(zillions of times)
throughout the maple syruping season - end of February to mid-April.

But beyond that,
from a bike riding perspective,
we are on
"the road less travelled."
Fine for hiking; fine for clambering through and under and over.
On foot.
But for bike-riding for 'granny', there is too much uncertainty underfoot,
(or rather under-wheel),
for my comfort level at this point -
rocks, roots, mud, swamp.
I avoid the road less travelled for now.
We had early season snow at the end of November,
snow that never really goes away until Spring. I'm curious to see how the eBike handles a bit of snow, (on the main trails), and it does beautifully....
that is, it does beautifully in a cm or two of fluffy snow with firm trail underneath.
Later in the season, it's a different story.
.jpeg)
.jpeg)


.jpeg)
Lovely tale of progress! Thank you for sharing it Annie! Best line: "On foot." Made me smile. I think a healthy dose of caution is highly advisable!
ReplyDeleteReally well-written - each chapter leaves us hungry for the next. xx